The ISU Figure Skating European Championships are held in Zagreb Croatia this year. The competition started on tuesday and the ladies skate their programs on friday (sp) and saturday (fs).
Aamulehti theme-page for the Euros:
– Layout of Kiira’s SP and analysis of the top six (pdf)
– Kiira on training rink (video)
YLE sports news interviews:
– Video interview with Kiira
Ilta-Sanomat article and small photos from a practise session
Kiira is the first skater in the last warm-up group for the short program, which is skated in friday evening:
|Warm-Up Group 8|
A short preview article and Kiira’s thoughts in Iltasanomat:
Kiira Korpi is not thinking about medal
Kiira Korpi is keeping her thoughts in European Championships on skating and isn’t thinking about the final results. Even if she for a first time in her career is one of the favourites for a medal. Last year the bronze was a surprise and a medal is possible this year also.
– It’s a different situation than before so it’s good to discuss it beforehand, Kiira says.
The expectations and and current settings has not been pushed back in preparations but everything has been discussed openly.
– There’s no medication to the expectations and a new situation. I’m concentrating on the performances, thoughts are on the doing and not in the outcome, 19 year old Kiira says.
– It’s about controlling your mind, she says.
Korpi tells that beginning of the season was not easy for her. Through the summer she was bothered by abdominal pain and later it was found out that that the cause was inflammation of the esophagus. Now it’s kept under control with medication.
In fall along with skating she took part in the matriculation examinations.
– Finlandia Trophy wasn’t a disaster, but naturally it made you think when others scored so well, Kiira explains.
After the competition a detailed plan with competition specific goals up till the nationals was created. That was followed even though one GP-competition was left out because of sinusitis. Now in European Championships in Zagreb the goal is to skate two good programs. That way the medal is possible.