Here’s some quotes and video interviews (in Finnish) from the media after the Team Finland returned home from the Euros.
Eyes on the Worlds
[photo caption] Both Kiira Korpi and Laura LepistÃ¶ are graduating from upper secondary school (“high school”) this spring. Both are also aiming for further academic studies.
– I’m really happy to get there, World Championships are the highlight of the season. Now we are tuning the free skate program and making some changes to it, Korpi plans.
The toughest competitors are coming from Japan, USA and South-Korea.
– Goal is to make the best possible performances. Short program has been working well this season, but free skate need improving, Korpi continues.
LepistÃ¶ is a first timer on senior Worlds.
– Goal is solely on making good performances. Before that it’s just basic training, skating through programs and getting more confidence.
Changes to free skate program
Figure skater Kiira Korpi’s free skate program will undergo some changes before March and the World Championships in GÃ¶teborg, she wants to raise the difficulty level of the program.
– Free skate program will probably be altered for the Worlds. At Euros in the practises I did the triple-triple combination and it went so well that we are trying get it in the program for the Worlds.
– Short program has gone so well this season so there won’t be any specific changes to that one, Korpi continues.
World Championships are the main goal for Korpi this season. She aims for a best possible result, but admits that there’s no way reaching the podium, atleast not yet.
Two medals next year?
Chairman of the Finnish Figure Skating Association, Susanna Rahkamo, told media about the goals set for 2008 European Championships in Helsinki Finland.
According to Rahkamo the goal includes two medals.
– We are aiming for two medals on home ice, and the other one would be golden.
Other goal for the association is to top the spectator count from the 1999 World Championships, which was 60 000 spectators. The Association also wants that the event is visible on the city’s street image.
Aamulehti’s video interview with Kiira: http://media.almamedia.fi/id/121753.asx